Member-Initiated Meeting Definition
A member-initiated meeting (MIM) is defined as an event held by a population research-related organization or individual; that happens two days prior, during or one day post the PAA Annual Meeting; and occurs in the annual meeting host city. MIM attendees may come from the PAA Annual Meeting community or from outside the annual meeting audience. MIMs could include committee meetings, business meetings, staff meetings, group trainings, research groups, working groups, or receptions.
Member Initiated Meetings Guidelines
The PAA Annual Meeting brings together over 2500 population research professionals to share research and connect with the population research community. This event presents a prime opportunity for affiliates of PAA – exhibitors, population research centers, universities, publishers, foundations, and others with a professional interest – to hold meetings and events in connection with the PAA Annual Meeting.
Guidelines for MIMs
PAA has established a set of guidelines for affiliate groups to follow when planning and hosting an event during the Annual Meeting. Please review the following guidelines before completing the online request form:
- PAA does not allow MIMs to run at the same time as PAA research presentation activities (oral and poster sessions), the Presidential Address and Awards Ceremony, and the Welcome Mixer. See the schedule at a glance.
- MIMs events must be in line with the overall mission of the PAA Annual Meeting. Groups that have no affiliation with and meetings whose focus is not related to population research will not be considered.
- Meeting space is limited, and requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Preference is given to organizers or groups who are members of PAA.
- Dependent on availability, PAA can offer portions of its contracted space rent-free during the week of the PAA Annual Meeting. Please note that if a group desires space outside PAA's contracted dates, a rental fee may be imposed.
- MIM organizers are responsible for all cost associated with the event. This may include food and beverage, audio-visual equipment, labor costs, meeting space rental, etc.
- MIM organizers may charge a registration fee to cover the cost of exceptions to the publication include meetings that are private and those held off-site during the Welcome Mixer, Presidential Address and Awards Ceremony, and oral sessions.
These guidelines were approved by PAA Board of Directors on April 10, 2019.
Meeting requests are only accepted online through the Member Initiated Meeting Request Form.
Please make note of the following:
- Meeting requests will be accepted until all the available space is allocated or January 26, 2024, whichever comes first.
- An email confirming we have a space for your MIMs will be sent out November 20, 2023, and December 18, 2023.
- Room assignments will be emailed to the organizer by January 31, 2024. After January 31, 2024, no room changes will be made.
- Beginning January 31, 2024, MIM requests will be sent directly to the Hyatt Regency Columbus.